- Has become a European leader in tracking Russian oligarchs' property and money.
- Continues to maintain full diplomatic relations with Russia.
- French companies, namely in energy and retail business, continue their dealings with Russia.
- Military support to Ukraine has been limited.
Providing military support for Ukraine, composed of four key categories:
- Ground Forces Support (e.g. small arms, defensive equipment, anti-tank)
- Air Defense Support
- Communications Support
- Cyber Intelligence Support
- Delivered at least €120 million worth of undisclosed defensive weapons and fuel to Ukraine, including CAESAR 155mm self-propelled howitzers and thousands of shells.
- Provided intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance support, including ongoing access to French satellite imagery.
Financial & Institutional Sanctions
Identifying sanctions impacting the Russian economy as a whole, including banks, sovereign debt, industry, access to global markets, etc.
- France announced freezing additional 22 billion euros associated with the Central Bank of Russia.
- France still has not cut much of its money flow with Russia. A number of large French companies, especially in retail, are still operating in Russia.
Sanctions on Oligarchs, Kleptocrats, & Western Enablers
Sanctions on individuals in Putin's inner circle including:
- exposing & seizing their assets
- revoking their visas
- holding them legally accountable where possible
The goal is to convince these individuals that their futures would be better without Putin than with him.
France has become a European leader in tracking Russian oligarchs' property and money. On March 23rd, it claimed that it had frozen 800 million euros worth of assets belonging to Russian Oligarchs.
Measures taken to isolate Russia diplomatically (e.g. recall of ambassadors & diplomats, stripping Russia of its G20 membership, etc)
- Expelled 35 Russian diplomats after the massacre of Bucha.
- The majority of Russian diplomats as well as Consulates are still operating in France.
Combatting Putin's global propaganda network. While respecting freedom of speech, Putin should not be allowed to spread disinformation while Russia bans every single independent outlet. This measures countries' success in curbing Russian disinformation spread through Russia Today and other platforms.
EU's RT ban effectively shut down RT France from broadcasting. However, it continues to run online.
Replace Russian Energy
Replacing Russian energy exports with alternative energy sources. That includes increasing production and opening new sources from fracking to nuclear to renewables.
- Though France is not as dependent on Russian oil and gas, its enegry companies, namely Total, are highly involved in Russian contracts.
- France plans to end Russia gas and oil imports by 2027.